Saturday, February 23, 2013

Domesticated Doll

I'm still famous for my meatloaf.  It's about the only thing that has survived the years when my friends used to call me the Happy Housewife.  Oh, I'm still a housewife and I'm still happy, but they don't go together in quite the same dust 'n' douche manner anymore.  The dining table is now covered with artifacts to write about and the dust is thick here at Rancho Notorious---gray in the winter, red in the summer.  Every so often I just have to invite someone over to dinner so I have an incentive to knock down the cobwebs and clean the whole house.  Well, most of it.



I just went to the Frigidaire to see if I had the secret ingredient for my meatloaf but found no half empty and half dessicated bag of frozen mixed vegetables.  Oops.  Well, there you have it: Starchy frozen mixed vegetables, ground down to a coarse crumb, is my secret ingredient.  One of them, anyway.  The ratio is to substitute about two to one, meat to vegetable.  Your fresh ingredients must be minced and your meat can be a combination of anything---and if you can't figure out the rest you don't like to cook so you don't care anyway. You're welcome.

No matter how delicious the meatloaf is sliced hot, it's always twice as good the next day in a sandwich---or, if your at all clever, served on crackers as a suburban pate of sorts to impress your neighbors.  Tell them to bring the wine.

So we're going to have to settle for a bit of broiled and glazed pork if anyone is coming to dine here at Rancho Notorious.  This always amuses our usual guest, since she's nominally Jewish.  Unusually I apologize beforehand for serving pork once again, but once I found some chicken in the interim and she seemed just slightly disappointed to find it on her plate.


2 comments:

  1. I liked it best when you used ground turkey and sausage...but really, it's the spices that make it. And the frozen veggies (as long as there's no broccoli!) Also, you must serve it with mashed potatoes and peas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I was thinking of the complete meal, but it never seemed fit into this posting. I was also thinking I occasionally made a cake, although usually just served ice cream for dessert.

    In the past I used turkey sausage exclusively---but now I'm more liberal in such matters...

    ReplyDelete